Why You Should Attend
What You Will Learn
During this concise program, our panel imparts practical tips and other considerations lawyers who are interested in corporate board service or already serving on a board must consider.
Topics of discussion include:
- What do lawyers bring to the corporate board room table?
- Direct company benefits
- Indirect company benefits
- Has board service changed since the 2008 recession: if so, how has it changed?
- Benefits and challenges of board service for in-house General Counsel
- Where to look for board roles as an attorney?
- Strategies for positioning yourself for board service as an attorney
- Exploring the role of DirectWomen, Women in the Boardroom, and other organizations aimed at increasing board diversity
- Benefits of board service to attorneys, whether at law firms or in-house
- The intersection: Fiduciary duties as a board member vs. the ethical obligations of attorneys
- Avoiding providing legal advice as a corporate board member, and the tendency of nonlawyer board members to defer excessively to lawyer board members
Note: ALI CLE programs are generally accredited in all MCLE jurisdictions. Credit in ID, LA and RI is available upon request. For more information about CLE state requirements or CPE for accountants/NASBA email [email protected]